Combining Fabric and Paper Tumblers

 In addition to the paper method I wanted to combine it with fabric.  I have family who adore Harry Potter.  I found some amazing fabric at Joann Fabric.





My plan was to just do some all fabric tumblers for myself and other family but as I was putting it together I had the brilliant idea to combine the fabric with paper.  I took a HP book and destroyed it.  As a lover of books it hurt my heart but it turned out amazing.  I did go and burn the edges of the page to create a look.  I am pretty clumsy so I do this in the bathroom over the sink so if something happened then I had ample water to put out.   

You can see in this picture the edges of the paper are more ragged and have a small burned look to it.  I think it adds so much to the cover by doing it this way.  I made sure the paper overlapped the fabric so you wouldn't have a line.  You could opt for more fabric or pages.  It would be whatever works for you.  I also included different HP themed glitter to fill in some of the white spaces.  I love how it came together.

This one I did more pages to fabric and it still looks amazing.  

I was concerned about the handle in the second cup being blah so I made sure I glittered it up.  The problem and something to consider is you don't want to be poked every time you use the cup.  



I really liked watching these turn.  When I went to do the final coat on one of the cups.  I saw my cat had decided to contribute to the tumbler.  I didn't want to have to redo all of the cup because I would lose the pages for it so I decided to get creative with it. I took some of my alcohol inks and tried to create an affect that looked like phoenix flames.



I love how this one turned out.  I was concerned about it but holy-moly it looks amazing.  It truly looks like flames across the cup.  

The one downside to this and several other methods I've been playing with is the time it takes to put it together.  You need to have several coats of modpodge to prevent the epoxy from seeping through.  There is dry time between all coats and then you can finally get it on your turner.  When all is done it is well worth the effort but it isn't as quick as some of the other methods. 


What do you think?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Tumblers

Glow in the Dark Can Cozy