Striped Glitter Cup

I was looking to make a new style of cup to design and I found a sampling of a striped cup.  There are two different methods to do this.  This post is the first method.  I'll show the second method later.  You will need a tumbler that isn't tapered.  The one I used for this method were Built and Ozark Trail (older version) from Walmart.  The Ozark Trail cup has a slight taper but nothing major.  The Built ones were completely straight.  




Tumbler A - 

I taped up my cup with some painters tape to begin with.  Any painters tape will work.  I tried angled lines, straight up and down, and around the whole cup.  Each had there pluses and minuses.  None of the lines were perfect which irritates me quite a bit.  The people they were for don't care they just like the designs.  














Tumbler B - Circle
Once taped up I picked a primary color to use for each of the open spaces.  For tumbler A it was silver and for B and C it was black. For Tumbler A I used Mod Podge for the glue.  I ran out before I worked on B and C so for those two I used Tack it method.  I know I did something wrong because I had to do a second coat and you're not supposed to have to do that.  I'm going to play with the Tack it method some more later.  













Tumbler C - Up and Down

After the primary color was done I took off all the tape to do the other colors. I just picked from my glitter stash as well as mixed up some to get the colors.  Once this coat was done drying I sprayed it with spray adhesive.  This will prevent the glitter from mixing when you put the epoxy on.  Learned this mistake with my first striped glitter cup.  








After the spray adhesive has dried it's time to put it on the tumbler for epoxy.  Each cup took 10 ml of both A and B, total of 20 ml.  After about 12 ish hours (set it up and went to bed) I could still feel the glitter so I needed to do one more coat of about 15 ish ml.  I say ish because I just needed enough to coat the cup.  If you wanted to throw some vinyl on you can but I liked the clean lines ish and to see the colors.


Overall, I enjoyed the process but it did take longer.  You will need to wait between each step to let things dry to do the next process.  It was worth it with how amazing the tumblers turned out but it won't be one I do everyday.  There is another way to get the straight lines I will show later and holy moly if I thought this method was long the other method takes longer and is more frustrating but has more straight lines.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glow in the Dark Can Cozy

Combining Fabric and Paper Tumblers

Paper Tumblers