Something new from Epoxy

I like trying new things and when I found some videos on using molds with epoxy I said I needed to try it asap.  The first batch was an small failure.


These look really good but they never dried and hardened.  I thought I could do what I do with tumblers and use acrylic paint.  Apparently I either had the ratio wrong or it just isn't going to work.  Gorgeous but not usable.  The ones with straight glitter worked out well so there I was fine but if I wanted to have the color it was back to the drawing board.

So I spent time on YouTube to see what the hell I was doing wrong to get color in the boxes.   Apparently there is a powder you can use to get colored boxes.  Amazon to the rescue.  I found this Mica Powder.  Once it arrived I got right to work on molds.  Amazon was also evil and made suggestions on molds so I ended up with additional molds to play with.  

Here's a dragon I made with the Mica Powder


















Here are the boxes I made








Here is one mold I made.  On one side the glitter settled almost all on one side and the other side got the colored Mica.  I have no clue why this worked out this way but it looks awesome.



















Overall, the second batch of experiments turned out awesome and I loved them.  Next up I'll be expanding on the molds I use to get some more fun shapes and animals. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Fabric and Paper Tumblers

Paper Tumblers

Glow in the Dark Can Cozy